Software development, user-centered design, automated testing, accessibility, business analysis, user research, competitive
analysis, wireframing, information architecture, visual design.
Languages and tools
Photoshop, Acrobat, Google Apps, Microsoft Office.
Web Developer / Accessibility Analyst
IST Web Platform Services, University of California, Berkeley CA – July 2012 to present
- Software development
- Full SDLC from business requirements to deployment.
- Develop features for website platform serving 100+ campus departments.
- Meet with stakeholders to determine requirements.
- Provide project estimates. Develop features. Write tests. Write documentation.
- Integrate features into platform and deploy. Monitor for security and maintenance issues.
- Automated testing
- Implement automated functional testing using Behat and Selenium on Travis-CI.
- Detect regressions in complex user-facing features.
- Implement visual regression testing.
- Review multimillion-dollar vendor RFP responses for accessibility.
- Develop guidelines for campus procurement process.
- Evaluate accessibility of websites and software products against WCAG 2.0 AA standards.
- Work with developers and third-party vendors to test, report, and remediate accessibility issues.
- Develop accessible interface components.
- Open source community
- Contribute patches to Drupal 7 and 8 projects. Review and test patches.
- Participate in and organize sprints.
- Present at user group meetings and conferences.
Web Designer / Developer
College of Letters & Science, University of California, Berkeley CA – October 2004 to June 2012
Designed and developed web sites and applications for departments within the College of Letters & Science.
- Redesigned 14 existing sites to improve content, identity, and maintainability. Developed sites for 5 new programs.
- Conducted user research and competitive analysis to identify audiences and strategies.
- Designed logos, page layouts, and information architecture.
- Developed standards-compliant code templates for content pages and web applications.
- Wrote documentation and trained end-users.
- Installed, managed and supported content management systems, allowing customers to maintain their own sites.
- Migrated 20 sites to new systems, including Drupal, WordPress, MediaWiki, and a custom system.
- Planned and executed major version upgrades for all systems.
- Reduced support costs by 20% and maintenance time by 50% after migration.
- Provided technical leadership for the entire campus on accessibility and web standards.
- Ensured compliance with Section 508, WCAG 2.0 AA, and HTML/CSS standards on all customer sites.
- Researched, developed, and demonstrated techniques to improve user experience for disabled users.
- Collaborated with end-users, managers, and developers to advocate for web accessibility and standards.
Web Developer / Business Analyst
CBCA Inc., Oakland CA – May 2001 to July 2004
Performed analysis, design, and development of web applications to support a large health care administration firm.
- Designed automated claims processing workflow - wrote use cases, HTML prototypes, and user documentation; developed reports; and demonstrated system to management and users.
- Reduced costs by 20%, achieving 95% automation with 99%+ accuracy.
- Lowered average turnaround time from five to two days for a system processing 15,000 claims per day.
- Designed new user interface for extranet applications for clients, their employees, and health care providers - wrote use cases and HTML prototypes and implemented version control procedures. Provided claims information, statistics, and custom reports for over 500,000 members.
- Managed integration of the company's various intranet applications used by call center reps, operations, and executive managers - designed information architecture, programmed modifications, and helped users to publish content.
Web Programmer / Analyst
funBug.com, San Francisco CA - 2000 to 2001
Designed, produced, and maintained sites for a subscriber-based entertainment e-commerce venture.
- Constructed a database-backed intranet site using PHP and MySQL to serve as an employee messaging system and document repository.
- Produced and optimized all web documents and graphics for the complex multi-level internet site.
- Established and monitored mechanisms to prevent fraudulent use of games and promotions.
- Researched emerging technologies and presented recommendations to the executive team.
- BDUG, Berkeley CA: "Visual regression testing," September 21, 2015
- CSUN, San Diego CA: "Increasing accessibility through collaboration on open-source projects," March 4, 2015
- DrupalCon, Los Angeles CA: "State of the Panels Union," May 12, 2015
- CHI 2007, San Jose CA: "Web Usability for Assistive Technology," May 1, 2007
Bachelor of Arts , Theater (Lighting Design), Williams College, Williamstown MA
- University of California, Berkeley Extension: Cognitive psychology, graphic design, software development